Officine Panerai Marketing e Communicazioni Srl, or Panerai, is a watch brand founded in 1860 by Giovanni Panerai (1825-1897) in Florence in Italy.
In 1840, Giovanni Panerai opens a small watchmaking workshop in Florence, thus becoming the first watchmaker of the city.
Thanks to close links forged with the best Swiss manufacturers, he starts to assemble watches with his family, by specializing more and more in the art and the technique of the assembly, of the maintenance and of the repair of watches and other measuring instruments.
In 1860, Giovanni Panerai (1825-1897), at the origin of this family of entrepreneurs, opens on the Ponte alle Grazie the first watchmaking boutique of Florence and contacts the oldest and most prestigious Swiss manufacturers of Swiss watches. His son Leon Francesco succeeds him.
Between 1890 and 1900 Guido Panerai (1873-1934), grandson of the founder, gives a new impetus to the activity of his grand-father and develops it by specializing in the high precision mechanics and by becoming the official supplier of the Royal Navy.
The year 2000 marks a major turning point with the presentation of the first movement entirely made by Officine Panerai. It is the P.2002, 8 days of linear power-reserve, GMT function, and resetting the seconds to zero. Presentation of the Luminor 150 with Angelus movement, already used for the watches produced in the 40s and 50s by Panerai and entirely restored by the Panerai technicians of the Neuchâtel manufacture.
In 2006, Panerai launches the Luminor 1950 CMT 8 Days, the first Luminor equipped with the P.2002 caliber. An agreement is concluded with Ferrari for the production of a Ferrari collection of watches engineered by Officine Panerai.
The brand belongs to the Richemont group since 1997. The factory of the brand is located in Neuchâtel in Switzerland.
FOLLOW US ON INSTAGRAM